In a fertile valley resides an old, converted sugar plantation, our NPH home – Casa San Salvador. This site of 130 acres has served as the main facility for the NPH Mexico family since 1970. Always bustling with activity, over 400 children live, play and study in this village of Miacatlán, which is located 124km south of Mexico City.
Our home facilities are quite extensive and offer a village feel with cobblestone streets, boungainvillea filled archways and a lush landscape. The Casa San Salvador campus includes a preschool through secondary school, a chapel, dining hall, kitchen, clinic, administration buildings and a farm with chickens, sheep, pigs as well as fruit and vegetable gardens.
An additional 140 students attend the NPH vocational high school in Cuernavaca.
Many will then go on to university in Mexico City or Monterrey. The university program boasts our largest group of higher education students in the entire NPH family. Over 75 young adults are enrolled, living in student houses with their NPH peers in the university capital of Monterrey, Mexico.
Even farther north, in Matamoros, near the US border, reside more of our extended family. Cuidad de Los Niños, or City of the Children. This home received the first children in 2009 and is now home to 40 children, the majority under age 16. When these young people are ready for high school, they move to our home in Cuernavaca.
In 2011, the home began investigating and accepting children from the war torn region of Juárez, where many children are abandoned while their parents seek a better life across the border.
Many children and teenagers from our nearby communities attend school at NPH, including on scholarships provided by NPH as part of our community outreach. We also have a One-Family programme which supports children who are reintegrated with their biological family.
NPH Mexico is led by Rafael Bermudez, along with over 240 dedicated staff and up to 10 international volunteers.
1954: Fr. Wasson helped a child who stole from his church and NPH was born.
1955: 69 boys are now living within Fr. Wasson’s NPH family.
1959: Girls joined the NPH family.
1964: NPH built its own high school in Cuernavaca.
1970: The sugar plantation in Miacatlan was purchased to form a larger home for the kids.
1979: Family moved to home in Miacatlan. Our university home in Monterrey was opened.
1985: Our leadership English program in Arizona was born.
1997: Community scholarship program was started to help children living with their families close to the nearby garbage dump.
2000: Art therapy program began.
2005: First student from the garbage dump community graduated from university.
2009: “City of Children” in Matamoros was opened.
2019: NPH Mexico celebrates 65 years of service to children and families in need.
2020: Our NPH Mexico family is being affected by Covid19. Find out more here: www.nph.org/news/coronavirus
If you like what we do at NPH Mexico, see how you can support here.